Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Quick update: snorkel installed, EGT probes wired, starting on the spinner

Since last post, continuing to work on multiple smallish items.  I finished up wiring the EGT probes.   Also installed the GPS antennas for PFD and G5 on the glareshield.  I just cut the wires, drilled a small hole for the wire, then spliced the wire using OLC-1 for the center conductor and solder splice with a 20 ga wire to splice the shielding.  (I previously discussed options with Stein who says this approach is fine).   I had considered using new BNC connectors on the wires, but didn't have the right size crimper for the much smaller wire.

I started fitting the spinner - cut out the marked areas on spinner, then did initial fit.  I have opaque fiberglass parts and match-drilling has been an adventure.   I've tried the magnet technique but haven't found it to be perfectly accurate.  I have a laser that seems to be more accurate, so I compared today.  The one photo below shows good correlation but as I turned the prop to new positions (each of the 6 holes in the spinner bulkhead) the magnet didn't consistently match position.  So I think I'll try match drilling based on the laser position.   It's not hard to aim it the right angle to direct the drill along the "axis" of the hole.   We'll see....

I sanded and then put a layer of plain epoxy on the parts of the spinner that match up to the bulkhead and backplate.  That needs to cure overnight.


Snorkel fitted in place:


Laser setup for match drilling, with magnet technique for comparison:





No comments:

Post a Comment