Wednesday, January 17, 2018

January 17th 2018 Update. Wing systems/Aileron/wiring

The quickbuild wings make it easy to "jump around" a bit.  I'm finding that I'm constantly having to order a random tool/part/wiring etc. so I've been moving along at a pace that allows me to do different things.  Since last update I've done the following (and some other stuff I'm not thinking to mention):


  • Put CPVC conduit along length of the left wing (will do this on other wing as well).  I'm using 3/4" CPVC and plastic/composite suspension clamps to hold this in place.  I discussed options with Vic Syracuse and this was my best compromise.

  • Run Van's supplied wiring harnesses in wings, routing some wires through existing snap bushings, others through the conduit (using holes to exit wires where needed).  
  • Run extra wiring for heated pitot (14Ga red/black hot/ground)
  • Placed 1/4 plastic lines (Green/blue) for pitot and AOA sensing.
Installed landing light in left wing.  I previously had fabbed these up from the kit (2 AeroLED landing light kits) and primed them using black primer, same as inside the wing bay where they're mounted.  Attached wires from the harness to these.  There is a ground that runs back to the ground lead on the landing lights from molex that will supply power to wingtip nav/strobe lights - so these two share a ground.  Nicely designed to save a bit of weight and  complexity.





  • Fitted ailerons to the aileron brackets.  A little tricky for the following reason:  The qb wings have a service bulletin done to strengthen the inboard aileron brackets.  The rivets that support the extra structure were interfering with the free movement of the inboard aileron.  I "edged up" the aileron skin in this area, replaced one rivet with a flush rivet, and finally re-arranged the spacers/washers to move the aileron slightly outboard.  Good clearance, but this took a ridiculous amount of time to get done.  Happy with the results.
  • Fitted aileron torque tubes, aileron push tubes, aileron pushrods.  Using the template/jigs supplied by Van's, this is really easy.  The aileron pushrods were perfect - no adjustment needed.  I had to shorten the push tubes about 3/8" to get the "neutral position just right (2 and 17/32" inches from inboard rib to center of hole in torque tube to be precise).   I shot a video of the torque tube moving aileron - it's starting to have some characteristics of an actual airplane.







2 comments: