Tuesday, April 10, 2018

April 10 Update - moving forward on fuselage, mounting location for oxygen cylinder

Since the last post, I've done as many rivets as possible without a partner: mostly the upper parts of the baggage bulkheads and lower baggage ribs to bulkheads.  Also riveted in the seat belt harness lugs.

While waiting for a time I can get a partner to finish riveting the join-up areas, I worked on the place I'll be mounting my oxygen cylinder.  Since this will have some weight I wanted a strong mounting point: the weight will rest on the baggage foor, but could put a lot of stress on mounting points during maneuvers/turbulence.

So I determined the mounting location (right side of baggage area, just behind copilot seat) and made a couple of doublers to back up the skin in this area, as well as installing nutplates (1/4") to secure the mounting hardware for the oxygen cylinder.  One big advantage of this location is that I can reach the regulator from the pilot's seat (I checked this in Van's RV-14A demonstrator).

This was fun - measuring, using rivet fan to locate rivets, drilling/match-drilling, and dimpling.  And of course riveting.  Now ready for paint.





No comments:

Post a Comment