Monday, January 1, 2018

End of 2017 Update - starting on QB wings

Since the last update I received QB wings and have started work on the left wing.

Before starting wings I wrapped up the vents.  Not a big job but I made one decision (after checking with Van's) to make a small change - I decided to rivet the vent brackets in addition to using silicone adhesive.  I match drilled two holes in each bracket and then dimpled them: easy on the brackets but on the fuse side skin I had to use special dimple dies that pull a nail through to set the dimple.  


On to QB Wings:  First, I've inspected as much of the wing as possible, comparing the plans to what I see and checking work.  For the most part, work is very good.  I've found some rivets on the left fuel tank at the inboard rib to skin joint that I'm not impressed with, but I'm worried about replacing those since this area is sealed.  Will discuss with Vic Syracuse - if he says to replace these I will, using sealant obviously.

One of the first actual construction things I did was pages 17-04 and 17-05.  I installed the access hatch doubler (after the obligatory deburr, scuff, prime, dimple, using nutplates etc.   Looks very nice.   I also installed the landing light brackets - before doing this I primed inside the rib bay where the landing lights will be with black primer.   I countersunk and placed rivets in the two holes that are normally used to install the stall warning horn: I will be using AOA as part of my pitot tube setup so won't need the duplicate stall warning.

Next I fabricated the landing light lens and backing plates.  Fit is good but with a small gap at the leading edge - despite lots of effort to pull this flush during match-drilling.  I'll live with it and seal later after permanent installation of the landing lights.

I removed the left fuel tank after fabricating plywood forms and installing these on bench - will stay off wing until work is complete.

Last few days I worked on aileron actuation - fabricated the pushrods, installed aileron bellcrank, and fabricated the torque tube assemblies for both wings.  I'll hold off a bit on installing all this until fuel tank is back on wing and after installing the wiring/tubing in wing.

Today I bent the wire for the fuel sender float - after quite a bit of tweaking I'm happy with the fit and I went ahead and installed the sender, after testing resistance range. I used an "endoscopic" camera that connects via wifi to my ipad to inspect the positioning of the float and assure no interference with rib or vent line.  I verified electrical connection to airframe after installation - one of the screws that is used on the sender has a lock washer to ensure electrical connection.  Also installed plug in upper hole, fuel strainer/drain, and fuel pickup/strainer.















No comments:

Post a Comment