Thursday, January 18, 2018

January 18th Update

Got quite a bit done.  First, I've been cleaning up wiring, putting shrink wrap over wires where they might chafe, adding cable ties, just making it look super/extra tidy.

Next, torqued all the bolts in the aileron controls, and checked torque on bolts in aft ribs through spar.

Today I started prep of the outboard bottom wing skin and fitted the Dynon pitot mast to the spar, adjacent rib, and skin.  I'll be doing "all Garmin G3X" and Garmin pitot tube, but Stein Air recommended the Dynon mast - it comes with a nice kit, good instructions (I had to look them up on the web but they're good!).   I match drilled the bracket to the spar flange, then match drilled holes in skin and bracket using the template.  I'm putting the pitot/AOA tube one bay outboard of the aileron brackets based on Vic Syracuse's recommendation.   Easy to reach from outboard access panel, and clears the aileron pushrod tube/brackets etc.

Dynon has a nice template to help match up the mast to the skin - the most time was removing material carefully, smoothing the edges, and repeatedly checking fit.  I'm very pleased with the result.  The pitot mast includes an angle brace which I riveted to the adjacent rib: this really stabilizes the installation.  I've seen people attach pitot masts to access hatches but I wouldn't be comfortable with the stability of that - the plus side is access and easy of replacement of course.

Next steps will be countersinking the mast bracket, finishing skin prep (including dimpling) and fabricating the J-channel stiffener.  The RV-14 instructions are TERRIBLE in giving any guidance on how to do this on a quickbuild wing.  I spoke with a Van's support person (Eric) who pointed me to the RV-10 instructions (page 20-5) which tell you how to do this on QB wings.  The only difference is length of course, which I found in section 16.  The fun never ends!







No comments:

Post a Comment