Friday, January 5, 2018

Fuel tank tested (left wing), and the power of VAF

I'm trying to do more frequent updates as I have in the past.  Not much happened since last post but I did test the fuel tank - 3 times.  After installing the fuel sender, pickup/strainer, and fuel strainer (bottom of tank) - I removed the fuel strainer, put an air valve (Schrader valve) in place, put a balloon on the vent opening, and filled the balloon with air.   Each time I went over every seam, rivet, etc with soapy water in a spray bottle, looking for leaks.  None found.  I was worried because the balloon didn't hold air indefinitely.   So I called Vans and spoke with Gus who said this shouldn't be a concern - it's hard to seal the balloon completely, and if the soapy water test finds nothing it's unlikely that there will be any leaks.  I may repeat the test after replacing the tank on the wing.



I got a fantastic message on Vans Air Force 2 days ago - someone who follows this blog noticed that I had made a mistake installing two (symmetrical but different) parts on my fuselage.  These parts (F-141119 root fairing attach angles) were installed "backward" - actually on opposite sides of where they should be.  So I ordered parts to replace/fix this error.  Here's what's great about this:

  • Folks are following my blog (great as long as no one thinks of me as a source of "correct" knowledge about building an airplane)
  • They care enough to point out mistakes when they see them (please let me know if you see a mistake!)
  • I can easily fix this now - it would be hard if I discovered the error when trying to put root fairings on when wings have been mounted
  • VAF continues to be a community where folks help each other out.




1 comment:

  1. John - someone told me using the punch might create a stress point. On other projects I've used a drill to remove a tiny bit of material to make the ID marks, with smooth edges that I sand carefully make even smoother. Not recommending this technique of course.

    ReplyDelete