Sunday, September 16, 2018

Landing gear, baggage area light

I installed the left gear leg on Thursday evening.  Chris came over again on Friday and helped me install the right gear leg.  Had a very slight gap on the left - about 0.006" after torquing bolt.  I chatted with Gus at Van's about this - he recommends no shim but check at annual inspection yearly and add shim if it opens up in the future.

I fabricated a fixture for LED lights in the baggage area.  I used some 2.5" diameter (mount hole diameter) LED fixtures I found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07544JW2F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1).   I had hoped to make a recessed mount but couldn't fit the fixture with nutplates into the baggage area brace with adequate edge distance.   Rather than use the spring mounts included with the lights, I match drilled the housings to the mount and used countersunk rivets - not perfect but very acceptable - better than the spring mounts for sure.

Pretty pleased with the result - tested with my power supply I purchased for avionics testing and it's only drawing 0.3 amps - lights stay very cool.  With the lights toward the front of baggage area, they project nicely into the forward part of the cabin. I'll replace the SS screws with black ones for a better appearance.










No comments:

Post a Comment