Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Update - close to starting on gear and engine mount

Since last post I've been taking care of a lot of small details.  Also have been receiving some of the final assembly parts, ordering others.  I ordered the FWF kit which should be shipped around the end of this week (waiting on exhaust system parts).

I received the carpet and seats from Classic Aero Designs:  Beautiful.  I've test fitted the seats and they look great.

I've tidied up and completed the canopy wiring.  Also deburred, scuffed, primed, painted and assembled all the final covers for baggage area, seat pans, spar and forward seat ribs, etc. 

Today I got some help from a friend, Chris Kanuit.  We assembled the empennage and completed the installation of the yaw servo:  I had to wait until empennage was mounted again to get the rudder cables fixed in position so I could mount the clamps that hold the yaw servo arm cables onto the rudder cables.   We found a "tight" rudder cable during this process - turns out I had to move that cable's connection to the rudder pedal (right rudder pedal) out 1 hole.

Also installed the aft elevator pushrod and checked angle at the bellcrank: it was dead on.  Elevator travel was 25 degrees down, 27 up.  I filed a bit of material away where the elevator arms were limiting down travel, added one degree of travel.   I'm happy with this: Van's letter on this subject (https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/letters/RV-14_Control_Deflections_Letter.pdf) gives the limits as 20 -25 down, 25-30 up, so all good here (also discussed this with Vic Syracuse who agrees).

Next step will be to disassemble empennage again, then move the fuse onto a table that allows access to mount the gear and engine mount.  Will then install wheels/brakes and wheel pants (particularly want to fit main gear pants in the "flight" position - i.e no weight on wheels. After that will put her up on the gear and move forward with engine....



No comments:

Post a Comment