Monday, August 20, 2018

Canopy coming together - literally

Since last post, I spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the shop.  Takes more time to clean up than mess up for sure.

I marked and taped off the area for the canopy fairing a couple of days ago.

Yesterday,  I cleaned out the fuselage and put in some edge guards on all the exposed stiffener and longeron edges in the cockpit and baggage area.

Today completed fitting of canopy to structure, sanded the canopy fairing area mercilessly with 80 grit sandpaper, fussed with fit of canopy to canopy side skins:  I ended up making a small shim for the aft-most hole on the right side because there is too much gap there to tighten the screw without bending/stressing the canopy itself.  Easy to make a shim about 1/2" by 1/2" that won't show externally but will ease the gap and thus the stress on the part.  The first layer of tape (on canopy and skin) is orange.  I added blue and black layers to give myself a little extra protection plus a more defined edge for the fairing. 

I'm very close to the big fairing fiberglass experience....




No comments:

Post a Comment