Monday, August 27, 2018

Canopy void filler & fiberglass layup

Late last week I completed the "void filler" section of the canopy.  Using tinted micro-balloons in epoxy.  This went pretty well.  I "retouched" a couple of spots to make it a little better.

After completing sanding of the void filler I started the fiberglass layup - one long session starting with tinted pieces followed by successive strips/shaped pieces to fill out the shape.  The front part went pretty much according to the plans.  I did some extra strips/pieces on the side to fill in the area below the canopy - probably overdid this but I'd rather sand down than build up this area. 

Final step was applying "peel ply" (dacron fabric I bought on ebay or somewhere).   I'm generally pleased with results but will know more when peel ply comes off and sanding begins....

Void filler completed:






 Initial tinted fiberglass layers:




Peel ply in place:  




No comments:

Post a Comment