Monday, March 4, 2019

Odds & ends

As I prepare to move to hangar, taking care of small items.

First, I installed a set of aftermarket canopy hinge covers.  Seemed like a good idea, but I didn't consider the clearance when opening the canopy - after installing when I opened the canopy I heard a "pop" which was the canopy catching on these covers.  It resulted in a bend at the front edge of the canopy on both sides.  Fortunately this happened before paint:  I removed the canopy, removed some material from the bent edge and carefully reshaped it.  Looks good enough that I think a tiny amount of filler at paint time will hide it completely.  This has been an issue on other RV-14s - I had already removed every trace of proseal along that edge but just didn't think about the risk of the aftermarket covers.  My bad.

Also I installed my data plate, completed my custom oil door with Hartwell latches (including adding a bit of material around the outside of the door on the cowling to make it fit more flush).   Finished baffle work on the lower cowling.

I also fixed a leaky brake line at the upper right gear brace.  When I removed the fitting, it wasn't very tight, so I cleaned up the threads and clocked it tighter.  After re-bleeding this side (right) all looks good.

Also I painted the edge of the rear window where proseal will be and installed the Koger sunshade on the main canopy.

Heading out to Oregon for RV-14A training with Mike Seager this week.

Repaired location of canopy forward edge damage:




Data plate:



Oil door latches and hinge installed:





 Koger sunshade:

Flush fit:




Painting window edge:


No comments:

Post a Comment